The Carlelite Monastery

© HNU VNS

The Carmelite monastery and Sanct Mary's Church is one of the best preserved medieval monasteries in northern Europe. The monastery was founded in 1430 when Eric of Pomerania invited Carmelite monks, the so-called white brothers, to Elsinore. The construction of the monastery was started shortly after and after a fire in the building period o.1450 stood church and monastery completed in its present form around 1500. After the Reformation, the monastery was in 1541 converted into a hospital and retirement home. In addition, the monastery in Elsinore housed the latin school and in the 1800s served as a retirement home for the needy. Since 1991, the monastery buildings has acted as an administration building for Elsinore municipality and meeting rooms for Sct. Mariae parish.

The monastery can be visited on prebooked guided tours, please contact the church office on tel (45) 4921 1774.

Opening hours
01/01/2014 - 31/12/2015 HelsingørMonday - Sunday -

Last updated by

VisitNordsjælland info@visitnordsjaelland.com
 

Contacto

Dirección

Sct. Anna Gade 38
3000 Helsingør

Correo electrónico

Phone

+45 4921 1774

Facilities

  • City / Area

    • Helsingør
  • Classification

    • Saint Hannes Cross

Find routes

Find a route to this destination

De

Transporte

  • Coordinates

    Longtitude : 12.613328
    Latitude : 56.036677